Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Taygete

Well, so much for Maggie staying at the Vet's over night! We've got a call yesterday, to pick her up, because she was too stressed out. She sure was glad to see us, and hightailed it out of there in a trot. She's doing fine though. We'll go back today, to see if she's O.K. (no fever, and no inflammation) and after that we'll be back in ten days to remove the stitches.

I finally finished Taygete. It took me only forever to do so. I've finished several other projects between casting on this shawl, and finishing it. I wondered what it was, that made me do all kinds of things before I worked on this it some more. It is my favorite shawl of the 7smallshawls, and still, I'd rather did something else.
Even though I like garter stitch, this time with the color changing every two rows, it was not as enjoyable, and it took forever. The lace part, and picot edging went quite quickly compared to the main body. I had no problems with the pattern itself. I just followed the instructions, and all went well.
I LOVE the yarn! It's Wandering Cat Yarn's Twinkle Cat Silver. The colorways are gorgeous! The darker one has many shades of grey, so gorgeous. The lighter one is a joy to look at too. Yummy!

One other thing I did not enjoy about this shawl was blocking it ( I found somebody else to do this for me)! All those picots! The wingspan is enormous. This is a giant amongst small shawls.

Here are the specifics:
pattern: Taygete by Romi Hill (ebook 7 smal shawls), but you can purchase the patterns as single patterns as well
yarn: Wandering Cat Yarns Twinkle Cat in charcoal and light grey; I used a total of 674.25 yds
needles: 3.5mm
size after blocking: 18" x 82"( or 2.10meters wingspan)
start-finish: February 15 - April 11


Taygete


Taygete

Taygete

Taygete

Taygete

This shawl will be gifted, if the intended recipient likes the colors.
***

29 comments:

SeattleAmy said...

This is the first shawl I've seen that has made me want to knit it! I'm not a shawl wearing kind of person...and I'm permanently scared by the unique "shawls" made during the 70's!

2paw said...

Poor little Maggie, she will be glad to be home!! Your shawl is lovely and so unusual, the lace edging is so pretty!!

momsue84 said...

Beautiful, Beautiful shawl! Love the colors. Glad all went well at the vet.

Kathy... said...

So glad to hear things are going well with Maggie. Give her a snuggle from us!

The shawl is gorgeous. That's my fav from that book too. Your version is quite inspirational.

CelticCastOn said...

Great colour combo on this one. Happy did such a good job blocking it out, patience of a saint that fella ;)
Poor Mags, she must have thought you were never coming back for her.

faith76 said...

oh it's lovely! Like the detail in the edging, I think the garter stitch works very well indead. And the different grey tones work well together. x Leah you must be happy now this is finished x

lexa said...

Love the shawl! Glad Maggie is doing well aside from the stressed out thing, lol. Bet she was happy to be home. :)

Ann said...

It's a very beautiful version of Taygete.
I will consider to use them color combination for my Taygete. I just finished Merope in black.

susannasplace said...

Der Schal ist wunderschön geworden. Einfach nur wow.

Freue mich, dass es Maggie schon besser geht. Solche OPs sind ja nötig aber man leidet als Hundebsitzer halt doch sehr mit.

Ich wünsche Dir ein schönes Osterfest.

LG Susi

Unknown said...

Simply gorgeous! The stripes might have been the most time consuming but they definitley make the shawl stricking. Love it

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!
Now I really want my own Taygete. But I don't know if I can handle all that picot!

Dörte said...

Your taygete is awesome! I like your colour combination very much. Looks really elegant!

monica said...

The shawl is lovely! I'm glad Maggie is doing well. Sending her speedy recovery thoughts.

Beverly said...

Pretty. I really need to make something out of this book. I've had since it first went on sale and all of the shawls are so pretty.

Cloudberry said...

Beautiful shawl!!

Alexandra said...

Beautiful! I like the color combination!

Susan said...

Just as well that Maggie could go home for the night anyway. I'm sure she appreciated it.

I really need to know who you found to block your shawl. Blocking lace is not one of my favorite activities. The shawl is very pretty!

Laurie said...

LOL! Reminds me of when I took Wilbur for his little surgery. They told me the surgery would be at 9am, I could call after noon to check on him and pick him up after work. When I called at 1pm and identified myself, the receptionist said, "Oh, you can come and pick him up ANY TIME NOW!!!" Seems he'd become a howling fool because I wasn't there when he woke up.

Your Taygete turned out so beautiful - I really love the colors you chose.

Michelle said...

The vet can stress out even the most stable dog. Glad Maggie made it through all right. The shawl is pretty. I definitely like that edging you've got going on.

Rhonda said...

Of course you know I love it. And good wishes to Maggie, I'm sure she heal much faster at home.

Walden said...

BEAUTIFUL!! Glad Maggie is doing well!

AdrieneJ said...

Wwwwooowww! I really wasn't sure about this shawl in 7smallshawls, but you've totally changed my mind!

rosalia said...

Really pretty, I love the perfection matching colours and stitches. Great job!

Tina said...

What a beauty this shawl is!!! I love the contrast of the garter stitch and the lace! Could imagine this combo also for a sweater with a garter body and lace sleeves, completly or maybe just from the elbow down.
Good to read that Maggie is all right! I. Hate. Surgeries. I still can’t imagine leaving my dogs alone after surgery and am so glad that all the vets I have been at for surgery so far let me hold them in my arms while they come back into the world (ok, with Dingo and Josy I was sitting next to them :-)) and get them home with me right after. Even at the vet clinic where my “bone vet” of the last weeks is, I asked that I wanted to be with Bisou right after surgery and it was no problem at all and after the talk with the wet about how surgery went I could take her home. Sure there is some risk, but then I only have to drive 5 minutes to get back to my vet. And I am not sure that in the vet clinic they are observed that close as they are at home – someone is with them on the couch all day, watching them closely every second :-))) Ok and it is somewhat hard to see them shivering and whining while fighting the narcotics but they would do that anyways if I weren’t there…
Tina, sorry this comment got so long

Virginia G said...

That's really pretty! Love it. :)

SockPixie said...

The shawl is lovely!

Anonymous said...

Love the colors (and the shawl) - thanks for the close ups !
margieinmaryland

Kathy said...

Beautiful. Sorry it was such a bear, but the outcome is delightful.

illusions said...

Smashing!