Friday, March 18, 2011

Handspun Friday - Sweet Denny

Yesterda was such a mild day, that the last of the snow on our deck melted away, and I was able to sweep the dirt away. I've also done something I've never done before. I've used the vacuum cleaner to get it really clean. There was a bag full of dog hair stuck to the boards. After that I placed the chairs, and ate my lunch outside. There was a little cool breeze, but I didn't care. I also found out, well I knew it already, but not to what extend, that Denny hates birds. He barked at every single one, which flew by. He also watches airplanes as long as he can see them.

Which brings me to todays handspun yarn. There is a spin-along going on amongst FatCatKnits members on Ginny's Ravelry group. For the month of March the colorway was "Sweet Tortie". Just when I was plying my yarn, I realized, that it's got the colors of Denny's coat.

Feb.5-13

There are all colors of brown, to black, and grey, except my yarn has no white in it, and Denny has that too. I should have gotten superwash Merino wool, then I would have had white as well.

Feb.15-the boys-4

Anyway, I've chosen BFL fiber. This spin-along is great, the colorway was voted on, and you can get it on any fiber you want. It's very interesting to see how different the yarns turn out, depending on the fiber, and the way it's spun.

So, this is BFL, 3.9oz, 380yds, navajo plied. I tried to spin the singles as thin as possible, to get maximum yarn out of it. I don't think I could have comfortable spun it any thinner. It turned out Sport weight yarn. I'm thinking socks.

Sweet Denny

I'm not sure I'm going to participate in next month spin-along. It will depend on the colorway. Maybe it's one I already have. I really want to spin down my fiber stash. Anyway it was a lot of fun. Some people are still working on their Sweet Tortie, and I can't wait to see their yarn.

***

PS Maggie caught her first fly yesterday, and promptly, after swallowing it, vomited it up again. Must have buzzed around in her stomach. ;o)

***

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That yarn is so beautiful. Very inspiring colorway.

2paw said...

It is absolutely Denny!! He could come here and help defend us against the evil chook from over the road!!
I don't know why Maggie swallowed that fly either, but Gilly likes to chase them and whack them with her paw. And then eat them. Yuck!!!

momsue84 said...

LOL! Milo lays on his back like that all the time. Oh, to be that free and comfortable in the sun. Have a good weekend!

Chery said...

I'd love to spend a month with you -- spinning. I think your beautiful spinning would rub off on me. I love the yarn and colors.... should make beautiful socks.

knottygnome said...

yeah i wish my yarn were finished right now but i still have more singles to spin.

yours looks great!

peony said...

Uh-oh... love it...the colors are perfect, and the spinning is lovelyy...

peony said...

Uh-oh... love it. Perfect colors :-)

Michelle said...

I debated for quite a long time about getting some Sweet Tortie but I had to admit to myself that I have more fiber than I can manage. So sad. Yours looks great. Maybe knit something for Denny with it?

Susan said...

That's so cool that those are Denny's colors! My dogs eat bugs too but they don't bring them back up. Silly Maggie.

Walden said...

How wonderful, the yarn looks lovely!

AdrieneJ said...

That Denny is a special guy... how cool to have yarn that is made just like him! And my little doggy is the same with flies... he chomps them down, and back up it comes. And yet, he continues to do it...

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That's too funny about Denny and the planes.
If there is a fly in the house I have to get it out quick, or else the cats will destroy the house trying to get it.
Yarn would make great socks!

Laurie said...

Chuckling about Maggie and her fly...remember the old nursery rhyme about the old lady who swallowed a fly? :-)

The yarn is VERY Denny. I never thought of him as a tortie before, but he really is. LOVE the belly shot. Nothing better than a puppy belly in the sun.