Monday, March 14, 2011

Celaeno

Celaeno is one of the sisters of the Pleiades, the Seven Sisters of Greek mythology–nymph companions of Artemis–turned into stars to save them from Orion’s pursuit. This is one of Seven Small Shawls by Romi Hill.

Celaeno shawl

The original pattern has a ton of beads worked in, but I didn't have any. If I were to knit t his again, I would use beads. The garter section is quite boring, but I LOVE the lace edge.

Celaeno shawl

This star stitch in particular. So neat! I also love the color. I'm not a blue person, but this colorway I liked.
Celaeno shawl

I've used once again one skein of Wandering Cat Yarns Slinky Cat, colorway Midnight Rendevous.

Celaeno shawl

It was just ready in time to be sent over the ocean to my mom, for her birthday back in mid February. She's told me, that she liked it, and has worn the shawl several times.

Celaeno shawl

It's 20" x 50", and I've knit it on 3.75mm needles. Quite a small shawl, but that was to be expected.
I'm currently working on the second shawl from Seven Small Shawls, even though it's # 5 of the so far 5 published shawls. I'm waiting for the last two shawls to be released. We've seen them on Romi's Forum, and I like them a lot.

***
I have to admit that I was totally surprised by the change to Daylight Saving time yesterday. I knew it was coming in March but not this weekend. I don't like it, but can't do anything about it. The pups have to get used to different feeding times as well. They and their built-in clocks!

***

23 comments:

Ann said...

It is beautiful - even without the beads. I think I will knit mine without beads as well

ikki said...

It looks lovely!

Mormorstrik og Farmorsysler ❤️ said...

I love this shawl

Alexandra said...

I love the color! Celaeno is a lovely pattern, it's in my queue, I want to knit all the patterns from the collection. They're all beautiful designs!

2paw said...

It is so pretty, a friend made a red one, without the beads too!!
DayLight Saving ends here at the end of the month. It will e just as much of a shock but at least we will be getting the hour back!!

Cambria said...

I have a 4-year old, and daylight savings time is a nuisance every single time we do it! Just like the pups, he has to adjust his belly to different meal times, and it throws off the bedtime schedule for 4-6 weeks.

Anyway, I really wanted to comment on the absolutely lovely shawl. It's truly beautiful.

momsue84 said...

Beautiful shawl, Monika. We, too, are trying to get used to the time change. Milo seems oblivious.

CelticCastOn said...

Love the colour of this yarn, the shawl looks great. Of course you mum liked it!

Virginia G said...

Gorgeous! I just added this shawl to my queue the other day.

Love the color you did it in.

Katha said...

stunningly beautiful! need to try it myself...

Michelle said...

I love the color and the lace edging. I don't have much use for shawls so I'm happy to see others knit them. I'm not at all happy about DST either. At least with this change the animals are letting us sleep in but it's definitely throwing off the normal routine.

Stadtwaldvogel said...

This little shawl is very cute! Your mom is lucky!
Ich wünsche dir eine wunderbare Woche!
Yours, Julia

Marissa said...

I don't think it loses anything without the beads, stunning on its own!

Unknown said...

I think you take the prettiest pictures. I'm really loving Romi's Shawls. You should see the new Slinky Valerie has dyed up.

Beverly said...

Love the blue. It looks great without beads so I can imagine how it would look with them. I haven't knit anything from this e-book but I plan to.

Catherine said...

I love it and love the picture where you have pooled the garter stitch and spread out the lace. I can understand how the plain section would be boring to knit but think it works well with the design of the piece as a whole. I like the star stitch too but can't work out how it is knitted

Frieda said...

I actually prefer it without the beads . Lovely !!!

Sherri said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful ... I am so jealous ... I so want to make a wrap but I don't think I have the patience ...

Laurie said...

Lovely shawl! I do enjoy Romi's designs. Yours turned out wonderfully, even without beads.

Maia said...

Beautiful! Your mom is very lucky.

Lifesastitch said...

Just lost my comment so I'll try again:
Nice. I like shawlettes. I like daylight saving time in this dark climate, but I only have one dog making the adjustment.

Christy J said...

Your Celaeno is beautiful. Of course to me, everything looks better in blue. I am getting the 7 Small Shawls booklet too, but I don't know when I'll get one started. Or which one, since I agree they're all wonderful.
Re the time change: I forgot to change the clocks the night before, and my little grandsons, 3 and 5 slept over. They got up at 6:15. Then my husband told me I could change the clocks to 7:15 and stop complaining, that wasn't so bad. But I didn't feel any less tired!

Carrie#K said...

That's a perfect color and pattern, I love it.

Daylight "Saving" Time. Feh.

Puppies!! Maggie swallowed her first fly!! Hopefully she'll keep the next one down. :)