Friday, April 30, 2010

Handspun Friday - Wellington Fiber Project

This was spun pre-Denny, a l o n g time before he made an appearance. This was a totally fun project. I bought the fiber in 2007, when I first started out. I bought fiber then, even without having seen it. These had been described to me over the phone! I think she did a good job, they turned out the colors I had imagined. Anyway, it was wool/mohair blend, with the wool unknown, but on the scratchy side. The mohair made up a little for the scratchiness though. I did not feel I could spin this fiber right away, so it went into the fiber stash.
I've used some of the raspberry colored one for two different projects later, so this was the color I had the least of (4.2oz). I had lots of burned orange (9.2oz) and chestnut (9.7oz my favorite here).
Wellington Fiber Project- the base fibers wool/mohair

After my BFL project was finished, I wanted to do another graduating color work, and this was it. I enjoyed spinning this so much, and I'm quite pleased with the outcome. I'm going to try this again too, with another color scheme.

Wellington Fiber project-total 467yds-10WPI-1

All together there are ~ 467yds, 10 WPI. That's the thickest yarn I've ever made on purpose. From three colors I've got five different yarns. I love it!
Wellington Fiber project-total 467yds-10WPI-2

The far left (orange) skein was navajo plied, as was the far right (pure chestnut). I had thought I'd have more orange left, but it's the smallest skein of the bunch. The three skeins in the middle are obviously 3-ply yarns.
I have no idea what I'll make of this. It's too rough for me to use it for a scarf. But I do want to use it all together. And it's not much yardage wise, even though this is heavy stuff and used up 23oz of fiber.

***
I've got another couple of pre-Denny handspun yarn to show you. I wonder when I will be able to spin again, with the pups AND renovations going on. I hope soon, I miss spinning.

***

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I so want to learn how to spin. I have to find a class locally here in the Chicago area. Your's are stunning.

Kate
www.thegardenbell.blogspot.com

rosalia said...

What a lovely colours!

Michelle said...

I don't think you've mentioned the renovations before. The yarn looks great. Would it be felt-able? It might make some interesting felted mittens or something. I hope the pups let you start spinning again soon!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Lovely yarns!
I'm very tempted to dye some skeins up for a graduated shawl.

Kathy... said...

So timely.....I have been brainstorming about doing something very similar myself. Your example is beautiful! and very inspiring. Love the colors too...beautiful!

Susan said...

Love the gradient color spinning! Beautiful yarn!

Anonymous said...

love the color gradations!
margieinmaryland

Linda said...

I do like the colours. I am going to try to learn how to spin consistent thick yarn when I have the ever on going fleece done!

Rhonda said...

Monika, you have the most beautiful handspun yarns. Those are so my colours. You make me want to spin.

Pat said...

How much fun! I can see exactly what you did for the color progress by looking at them closely - I want to try it!

Sharon said...

You are such a clever and creative spinner! Your yarns are so beautiful and though they may be scratchy they are dreamy to look at.

Knatolee said...

I love these colours!

Jeanne said...

Gorgeous yarn - I love the colors.

knottygnome said...

wow, it looks amazing! i love it.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Your yarns are THE most GORGEOUS STUFF!!! Love the graduated color. It will make an amazing shawl! Enjoy :)