Friday, June 05, 2009

Handspun Friday - Cabled Yarn 2

I haven't been spinning a lot lately, just a little bit. It's not because of lack of wonderful fiber to play with, it just was too messy around my spinning wheel. Now that it's all cleaned up again, I'm sure I'll be spinning more often. Today's yarn I made back in April. After the first try of cabled spinning turned out so well, I had to give it another try. I love it!

Cabled Yarn 2
Notice the colors of the bag on the magazine reflect the colors in my fiber!


Cabled Yarn 2-2

For some reason I had a lot of FatCatKnits Falkland left over and could make a navajo plied mini skein. I think it would have been pretty on its own, but I really DO love how the cabled yarn turned out.

***
fiber: 4oz Corriedale by Sweetgeorgias March 2009 Fiber Club
4oz Falkland by FatCatKnits (purchased about 2 years ago)
yardage: 328yds cabled yarn (both colorways were navajo plied first, and than cabled together)
WPI: 15

***

Biko-June2-1
Biko is not all that happy these days. Most of the day she's lying around like this, even though she has more comfortable places to be. She doesn't want to play in the backyard. The only times she perks up is, when we tell her to go for a car ride or for a walk. She isn't all that hungry either, but she was never a food oriented dog. She does eat eventually, but it's not the same if she can't "yell" at somebody to stay away from her food bowl, before she's actually starts eating ....

***

To leave you with something crafty, here's a sneak peek of my first potholder. I'm sure you have read about the potholder swap down south of the border. I let myself get so inspired by the beautiful pieces, that I went stash diving and came up with a few colors of cotton DK thread to make a few. It's so much fun! More about them later when all are done.

sneak peak

Have a wonderful weekend!

***

20 comments:

knottygnome said...

ahh, but where can i get the pattern for that patchwork bag? :-)

pretty handspun!

lexa said...

Poor Biko, she does look sad...

Renata S. P. said...

What a wonderful yarn!! I was missing your handspun =D

susannasplace said...

Biko trauert... das dauert leider noch. Drück sie mal ganz feste von mir.

Maggie said...

I love the colours in your potholder! That cabled yarn is mighty nice, too. Any ideas for what it should become?

Biko is breaking my heart. She misses her friend. Have you thought about getting another dog or is that not practical? Do you think another dog will make Biko happy or do you think she would resent a companion that is not Sam?

sgeddes said...

Those colors combined to make a lovely yarn! I really like it. The potholder looks great. Can't wait to see the set!

I'm sure Biko will eventually pick up a little bit. It's a hard time for her too.

Sharon V said...

Your handspun looks so pretty and your color choices are my favorites - pastels. Bright & cheery.

Pobrecita (poor baby)Biko! Do you have any neighbors with dogs willing to come over for a doggie play date?

Anonymous said...

I love seeing the cabled yarn. I'm so going to have to make some for me! Looks like lots of people are doing that potholder swap. I passed on it but it's fun to see all the ones being made. And poor Biko. I was wondering how she was doing without Sam around.

Frieda said...

Ahh , Biko looks so sad , poor puppy misses her buddy Sam. It'll take awhile before she gets used to the fact that she's an "only " dog now .I believe that animals feel the empty spaces just like we humans do when we lose someone close to us. Give her an extra pat from me ...

Kris B said...

I love your handspun yarn and the colors look great.

My heart goes out to Biko.

I look forward to seeing more about the potholder. I really need to make some for myself.

Carrie K said...

Poor Biko. She's lonely for Sam too.

The handspun came out pretty! I love how it complements the colors in the bag, you theme spun girl. :)

T-Mom said...

Poor Biko. I'm glad you guys have each other. Maybe time for another country walk?

Novelos e meadas said...

Hi Monika!
Lovely colours!
Biko is so sad, she misses Sam...
Bjs

Anonymous said...

Poor Biko. Her eyes do look very sad.

hannah said...

Poor Biko, I think she misses Sam a lot!

The yarn looks lovely, nice colours.

Marianne said...

Lovely, lovely handspun! I like your potholder too :^)

Sweet Biko. Of course she's missing Sam. Although they say dogs live in the present.. well, her 'present' is missing Sam, constant companion, as long as she's eating and receiving love (which I know she is), she's taking her time to grieve in her way.
A doggie play date sounds like fun, if she gets along with other dogs (outside her 'pack'). Then again, she might be wanting another dogfaced companion of her own.
She just needs her time of adjustment.
xoxox

steffi said...

Du hast wieder sooo schöne Bilder gemacht. Was für ein tolles neues Garn mit so schönen Farben und herrlich gleichmäßgi...
Einen lieben Gruß an Dich
Steffi :)

Monica in Sask said...

Wow! Nice cabled yarn! So that means it's a 6-ply, right? You REALLY must have spun the singles fine!! Kudos!!

Leah said...

I just recently made a potholder like that, with different colors. Such fun!

Your spinning work is lovely.

And hugs to Biko!

Angelika said...

Ooohh, Biko looks so lonely. They are just like kids. They fight all the time, but when they are apart they miss each other. Same here.
I love the yarn you always produce. No idea what cabling is...