Sunday, March 22, 2009

Vernal Equinox Surprise Shawl finished!

The surprise for me was that it turned out to be a half circle shawl. Hmm, don't like half circle shawls, will never wear it. The other surprise was, that it seemed not photographable for me. That rarely happens. Maybe it felt it was not loved?
I have tried to take pictures of it on several days, with different light, outside, inside, it's just not happening.

Biko March 22-unwilling model
Even Biko was an unwilling model.

I knew, as soon as the last stitch was done, that this was not a keeper. It's a pity, really, because there is nothing wrong with the pattern at all!
It was very much fun to knit, well written (charted), I was looking forward to each and every clue. It's a beautiful shawl, and there are pictures to proof it (click on the picture in this link and see a wonderful gallery of finished shawls), just not mine.

Vernal Equinox shawl finished-4-half circle shawl, ~ 70x32 inches


Angelika suggested to offer it for trade. Don't suppose anybody would want to trade it for fiber or yarn? Otherwise I'll just rip it out. I haven't woven in the ends yet, because of that.
Thank you Paivi for designing it and offering this shawl for free, it was a pleasure to knit!

Vernal Equinox shawl finished-2-half circle shawl, ~ 70x32 inches



pattern: Vernal Equinox Surprise Shawl by Paivi of Lankakomero
yarn: Spritely Goods, limited edition "Spring Greens" 100% superwash merino, 2 x 110g, 980yds
needle: 3.5mm circular
size after blocking: upper edge ~ 70", deep ~ 32"

Vernal Equinox shawl finished-5-half -circle shawl, ~ 70x32 inches- truest color
I think in this picture the color comes closest to the true color.

The shawl found a new home. Thank you!

***

Since I've seen Bea's socks, I wanted to dye some yarn the same way. So I got the dye pot out over the weekend and the result was this:

self dyed KnitPicks bare-merino-sil-fingering weight yarn-2skeins-3

I used a different color combination, obviously.

It was a learning experience. Since I'm a dabbler in dyeing, I know shit about it, that's why the results are rarely what I envisioned. But I'm always willing to learn from my mistakes. Two things about this yarn, or maybe three:


1. I like how it looks.

2. at the beginning I thought I was going to knit socks with this yarn (2x Knit Picks Bare, merino/silk, 440yds each), BUT I lost this pair of socks this weekend (after I wore them maybe 5 times) due to holeitis in the toe area, I doubt that I will knit socks in merino or merino/any blend without nylon etc. again. I'm sick of loosing socks, just because the yarn is too soft. So I have, as I think, the perfect pattern in mind, for one of these skeins - NOT socks.


3. I'd like to try this method of dyeing again, but with 50g yarn balls, 100g yarn cakes are just too big to get the result I want, and I have to find undyed sock yarn, which is not merino etc. you get the idea. :o)

By the way, I'm (test) knitting (I'm a terrible test knitter) Bea's socks (with Regia sock yarn, yes siry), I like them A LOT.

***

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a very lovely shawl. It's really too bad you're not loving it.

GoldenTracks said...

Hi Monika
Your shawl really did turn out pretty. I'm with you, love the lace pattern itself. Your yarn choice is much of what made it so pretty.
I'm not a fan of half circles either; beautiful but so big and not practical to actually use. I collected all the clues and thought I'd knit it in the future, but now that it's a half circle, probably not.
If it were me, I'd frog it, wind it up and do something I loved with that pretty yarn. But then, that's what I did with my Irish Diamond Shawl.

Michelle said...

I would love to trade if you are interested!

momsue84 said...

The shawl is lovely! Sorry you aren't loving it, but I know how you feel. I've had FO's that didn't please me, either. Onward and upward to the next project.

Marissa said...

Oh, Monika, I'm sorry this shawl didn't 'do it' for you...it's very beautiful. I know it's not all about the finished product for you (except maybe socks!), and I'm very glad you enjoyed the knitting. On to the next project!!

Lucy said...

I would love to trade for that shawl and show it some love! ...I don't know what you'd want to trade though... take a look at my stash or let me know what you're looking for. (I'm workbasket on ravelry). If you trade with someone else that's fine, but if you're going to unravel... I'm a redish-head who would love a green shawl! :)

Eliza said...

I think the shawl is beautiful. Have you no one to gift it to? Or perhaps you know a worthy charity that could use it in a fundraiser such as a raffle or silent auction?

Claudia Bugh said...

I can't believe you didn't absolutely love it!!!! It's gorgeous and whoever it was that traded with you really really really lucked out. Biko looks quite happy wearing it, too. Hump.

I'm searching for a nice lace weight merino yarn - you know yarns so much better than me - have any suggestions where I should look?

Kirsten said...

I would happily have traded yarn or fiber for that beautiful shawl! Ah well, I'm too late.

That looks like such an interesting way to dye yarn. I'll have to give it a try some time. I love the way your yarn came out.

Anonymous said...

That is a gorgeous shawl, Monika and I think ALL the pictures are wonderful! (esp. Biko's photo!)
Someone is lucky - Let us know what you ended up trading it for :-)

Martina said...

Hi Monika,

this shawl is sooo beautiful. I´m sorry fthat this shawl didn´t "do it" for...

Stephanie said...

wow - I think that came out beautifully. Glad to hear you found it a home :)

Susan said...

What pretty sock yarn! Thanks for the link; I'll have to try dyeing the yarn in a ball.

Anonymous said...

I understand liking certain shawl shapes but I do think it's very pretty anyway. :-)

Yarn Devil said...

Bea's socks are beautiful! Enjoy the test knit... and the shawl was beautiful too... just not your taste eh?

Anonymous said...

I am so glad the shawl found a new home. It was too gorgeous to be ripped! I'm sorry it didn't make you happy. It's never fun to spend all that time and knitting and then be disappointed.

Mary said...

Your shawl is beautiful!

punkin said...

I like your dyed yarn very much! I would like to be able to accomplish that with my dyeing. I will have to try that technique. Lovely.

Anonymous said...

Biko looks like a Super Hero!! It is very beautiful and I love the colour. I am sad it didn't work out, but glad it is going to a good home.

Dave said...

I'm so glad the shawl found a new home -- it would be a shame to rip out all that beautiful knitting!

I'm liking how that dyed yarn came out and looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful design! Triangular shawls just don't stay on my shoulders well. I usually end up wearing them slung sideways or just hung over one shoulder. So sorry you don't like it - you did a beautiful job!

sgeddes said...

I'm glad the shawl found a forever home and you didn't frog it. I don't think I could bring myself to frog something like that, even if I was never going to wear it.

Anonymous said...

The shaw looks lovely. But I can understand that you don't want to wear it. Nice you found someone who will use it.

The yarn looks nice too. It is always exciting to dye yarn. I hope you use it for something nice.

Marianne said...

Ah, that shawl is gorgeous, I'm glad it's found a loving home :^)
Nice dye job on that yarn! I like it.
I hear you re: socks and soft merino yarn... walk holes in them every time.

Ann said...

The shawl is gorgeous & it's good that you have found a home for it. Love the colors of your newly dyed yarn.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the shawl found a good home! It's really pretty, if not your cup of tea.

Those blues in the hank are gorgeous, I love the colors in that dye job.

Oooh, devur is my captcha word. I think it knows I want to devour your yarns. I've been knitting up your stash in my head for eons now.

Mariella said...

So glad that beautiful shawl found a home!
It is lovely and I do like that green color too.

picperfic said...

love the dyed yarn, looks like denim! That shawl is so beautiful, so many hours of love in that one!

La Cabeza Grande said...

Even though Biko was an unwilling model, your pup wore the beauty of a shawl quite well.

Good thing you found a home for it.

Monica aka Gloria Patre said...

Well even if it didn't find a home in your heart, I still think it's beautiful! I've been wanting to cast on a 1/2 circle shawl for a while now... just NOT in yarn that fine! LOL!!