Friday, March 20, 2009

Handspun Friday - Girl with A Pearl Earring

Happy Vernal Equinox! Or I should say, Spring is here! Yeah! Well, there was nothing wrong with Winter either, Spring is in the beginning rather messy.
Today I should show you my finished Vernal Equinox shawl, but that would mess up my handspun Friday, so the shawl will have to wait.

Corriedale 4oz-3-Girl with Pearl Earring- by Electric Sheep Fibers


I was looking for fiber for my next spinning project, when this roving kept falling into my hands. I pushed it aside several times, but it always came back, so I thought, what the heck, it really wants (needs) to be spun.

I've got this back in 2007, when I started spinning. Back then I joined two fiber clubs and this was one of the installments. Since then I've long canceled my membership with both. Sometimes I regret it, but not really.

I have to say, this fiber surprised me in a good way. From looking at the fiber, I didn't expect much, but I really like how the yarn turned out.

Girl with pearl Earring, 229yds, navajo plied, Corriedale by Electric Sheep Fibers-5

The colorway was inspired by a painting by Johannes Vermeer and is called "Girl with a pearl earring. I've seen others using this painting as inspiration for their dyeing fiber as well, not just Electric Sheep Fiber Arts. I haven't found a recent update from Amy. Don't know if she is still dyeing fiber and yarn. Anyway, as I said, it was a pleasant surprise to see this yarn finished.

Girl with pearl Earring, 229yds, navajo plied, Corriedale by Electric Sheep Fibers-6

Can't wait to see how this looks knit up!

Girl with pearl Earring, 229yds, navajo plied, Corriedale by Electric Sheep Fibers-7
***
fiber: Corriedale, 4oz
source: Electric Sheep Fiber Arts, club fiber, I think from 2007
colorway: Girl with a Pearl Eaaring
yardage: ~ 229yds
way of plying: navajo plied
I've put it away before measuring the WPI, but it's around DK weight
***
Girl with pearl Earring, 229yds, navajo plied, Corriedale by Electric Sheep Fibers-4

***

19 comments:

herzlichkreativ said...

einfach traumhaft diese farben !!

Marianne said...

Mmmm, what yummy yarn that fibre turned out to be! Like you, I was a bit hesitant but wow.
Thank you for the info, now when I see fibre dyed similar I'll go for it.

picperfic said...

love the name of the fibre...it has spun up beautifully!

momsue84 said...

Beautiful fiber! But I can't wait to see the shawl. You are my #1 enabler.

Toby said...

Oooh, I love seeing the before and after photos of fiber and the yarn it becomes.

Dave said...

Very nice -- great mix of colours, and light and dark. I bet it knits up wonderfully.

Anonymous said...

To be honest, the roving wasn't that impressive, but it spun up beautifully and the color is great!

I think the only way to showcase the color is to make a great hat. What do you think?

Walden said...

that spun up very beautifully! I can't wait to see how it knits up, also!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

It's beautiful ~ just like the painting that inspired it! There is a book also inspired by that painting, with the same name, that I listened to on audio cassette when we drove across country. What a nightmare trip that was ~ but I did enjoy the story!

sgeddes said...

I think the yarn came out lovely! Sometimes a roving will surprise you in the nicest way!

Anonymous said...

I totally did not expect that yarn out of that roving. That's the great thing about spinning though. The constant surprises! The yarn is very pretty. Any ideas what you'll knit with it?

Ann said...

It's the start of autumn for us here down under. I love the colors of the yarn, such a difference from the roving.

Angelika said...

very pretty!

Anonymous said...

I can imagine you like this yarn. It turned out beautiful!!

susannasplace said...

Oh was eine wundervolle Färbung. Da würde ich einen Schal draus stricken.

LG Susi

Susanne said...

Oh, so wundervolle Farben zeigst Du uns hier wieder, liebe Monika. Sie machen Lust auf Frühling, auf die zarten Rosatöne der Obstblüte und auf blauen Himmel.
Liebe Grüße
Susanne
P.S.: Danke für Deinen lieben Kommentar!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

The spun yarn is quite surprise... I certainly wouldn't have pictured it looking at the fleece. It's much nicer spun up!

GoldenTracks said...

my blog's back up
come by to see us. there's a message there for ya

Windyridge said...

Love the colors...very pretty.