Friday, January 23, 2009

FO's - 4

During the last two month of last year, I had a huge urge to crochet. I was inspired by Chawne and her wonderful colorful work. I liked her "Big Round" blanket and wanted one of my own. It needed to be from stash. I had one blue ball, one pink ball and several balls of gold. I used up all of the blue and pink yarn, and have still some left of the golden color. The royal purple of the main color is the same yarn I used for Hannah's Garter Yoke Cardigan.

Big Round Blanket

pattern: square # 173 of the book "200 crochet blocks" by Jan Eaton, I added a lacy looking edge yarn: Patons Classic Wool Merino in royal purple - 9 balls, old gold - 2 balls, blue - 1 ball, pink - 1 ball
hook: 4.5mm
size after washing and blocking: 49" x 59"
start-finish: November 18 - 30

DH Karl enjoyed it during his visit home for Christmas.

After that was done, I thought I had the crochet bug out of my system, but I was wrong. It was stronger than ever. So I looked through the "200 crochet block" book and found this simple, single crochet square, which appealed to me at once.
I choose 4 colores and came up with 4 different ways to crochet the squares.

I just had to decide in what order I wanted to connect them, so I knew how many of each I had to make.

Four Square Blanket

pattern: square # 109, square # 29 for the border, "200 crochet blocks" by Jan Eaton

yarn: Pervian Collecton Highland Wool from elann, 26 balls total

hook: 5mm

size: 49" square

start-finish: December 3 - 31

It took me about 70 hours to finish this blanket. I love it.


Blueberry joghurt handspun yarn

That leaves me only with one more thing, and than I'm all caught up: These pictures have been waiting for quite some time, to get their turn.

This handspun yarn is made with 4oz of Corriedale, and 4oz of Norwegian fiber, which I dyed myself. It's a total of 936yds, 2-ply in very fine fingering weight. I never considered this project to be done, because I wanted to spin a lavender colored fiber to go with it, but never got to it. I still intend to do this, but god knows when.

225g African Fine, dyed with lavender and silver birch color


26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lieb Monika,

ich komme aus dem Staunen gerade nicht mehr raus!!
Beide Decken sind einfach toll und ich wüsste nicht, welche mir besser gefällt.
Mir fehlen irgendwie gerade die Worte....

LG Heike

momsue84 said...

Wow! You rock, Kiddo! Those blankets are just stunning. I know what you mean about the urge to crochet. I get it, too, but my wrist tells me otherwise. You weren't just busy while you were gone. You were on a roll!!! Milos sends hugs to the pups.

lexa said...

WOW! You have been super busy! Love the blankets. Makes me want to learn how to crochet. :)

Yarn Devil said...

Love the blankies! Specially the second one.... Very very fun!

Anonymous said...

Die graurote Decke ist ja wohl superedel ! Gefällt mir richtig gut.

Liebe grüße Eva

sgeddes said...

I'm really going to learn crochet now. I knew you were hidingin some new blankets somewhere! I love the edge detail on the red and gray blanket and how you did some of the oclor transiostion in the purple blanket.

bockstark.knits said...

omg, i love that gray, red and white blanket! both of them are so gorgeous!!!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Both of the blankets are masterpieces! I love how you combine colors and shapes to create such dramatic pieces :)

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

That such a great style. Oh how I wish I had chosen a sweater like this rather than the CRJ!

Restless Knitter said...

Those are awesome! I like how you combined the colors in the squares on the purple one before moving on to the next color.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful FO's you show on your blog this week! I can hardly believe you knit and crocheted that many projects. They all look very lovely. I like both the blankets and the cardigan very much.

Anonymous said...

Wouw Monika! Wunderschöne Decken!
Ein Riesenkompliment!
Schön, dass du wieder "da" bist ;-)

Liebe Grüsse - ZiZi

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blankets. I love the second one. I don't know how to crochet but these are inspirational. Thanks for sharing you your work.

hakucho said...

I LOVE your gray/red afghan...especially the bobble border :) It really is stunning!

Anonymous said...

I love the border on that second blanket. You were just knocking out the projects like crazy. You're putting all the rest of us to shame!

Anonymous said...

Love the afghans, especially the edging on the purple one and the colors of the grey one.
Margie in Maryland

Strickfimmel said...

Boah, sind die Decken schön!!! Die Farben passen super zueinander. Ich habe schon ewig nicht mehr gehäkelt, da bekommt man richtig Lust auch anzufangen. Da fällt mir ein, an meine Mosaikdecke könnte ich auch mal weitermachen ...

Anonymous said...

That four colored crocheted square blanket is utterly beautiful, Monika.

I missed Sam's entrelac blankie! so cute. (The blankie) (and the dog, of course.)

Faith said...

The blankets look great! Wow, you have considerable patience -- TWO afgans!

The handspun is totally gorgeous.

Cloudberry said...

I love the grey/red blanket!
And your yarn is beautiful as always ;)

Anonymous said...

Your grey and red blanket is totally awesome!! Love the colors and the funky textured edging!
Sam's entrelac bed cover if so WOW!! Wow on the color and wow on the entrelac!!
Your spinning looks good enough to eat! The fact that you've chosen a companion color suggests you have a project in mind???? I can hardly wait!!

Life's a Stitch said...

The crochet bug seems to be catching. I'm liking it, too. Fast and fun, but boy does it eat yarn.

Anonymous said...

Just adore your blankets! Makes a person want to get out the crochet hook!

Beverly said...

Fabulous afghans. I especially love the red, black, grey and white. It is stunning. I'm always in awe of your creations.

Charlene said...

Love your blog, you have great pictures. I absolutely love seeing your pictures of Biko and Sam. I used to crochet(mainly knit/spin now), and upon seeing your grey, white, and red crocheted squares blanket I immediately loved it. Love the bobble on the outside band!

Life's a Stitch said...

That edge is the perfect finishing touch.