Thursday, January 22, 2009

FO's - 3

My creation

(photos were taken with -10C, that's the least she could do to model it-right?)

I'm very proud of this cardigan. I saw it on Melissa's blog, long before it was in Knit 1 magazine, and fell in love with it. She made her first version in grey with orange buttons - instant love! As soon as I knew the pattern was in the magazine, I hunted down a copy and crossed my fingers, that my DD Hannah would like it too, so I could knit her one. Sometimes, she's just too good to me, and said YES. When she came home for Christmas we went yarn diving in my stash, and she choose Patons Classic Wool Merino in royal purple. Besides the February Baby sweater, this was the first adult top down sweater I've knit, and it was fun!

She said she would love to wear it at New Years Eve (she didn't in the end, but I finished it in time anyway), so I got to work. The body was knit quite fast. But I think the sleeves were cursed. As soon as I sat down to knit them (on double point needles), somebody, something interrupted, so I had to put it down and get up. Once I was so fed up, I (cursed) put it down, and went to pick up my crochet blanket to work on that instead, and wouldn't you know it, no interruption whatsoever, for as long as I wanted to work on it.

Of course, as you can see, the sleeves got finished eventually. Hannah would have liked them a little longer, but I made it exactly the length given in the pattern.

If I were to do this again, the only thing I would change is the garter stitch border at the bottom edge. It's only 4 ridges and it kept folding up. I had to seriously steam the heck out of it, to ly flat. I did not wet block the whole thing, but steamed everything.

Hannah found the buttons downtown Toronto. I did not like them, when I first saw them, but after they were sewn on, I thought they looked O.K. The other thing is, my tension sucks. Knitting stockinette stitch on a large piece like that, with back and forth rows, my purl rows are always way looser. I was hoping the steam would take care of that, and it did - some.

pattern: Garter Joke Cardigan , Knit 1 Magazine Fall/Winter 2008, by Melissa LaBarre

yarn: Patons Classic Wool Merino, royal purple, 4 balls

needles: 4.5mm needles

size: 34"

start-finish: Dec. 21-30

This was a fun and easy in between project. Great for relaxed knitting, because I didn't have to look at any pattern.

pattern: simple K3-P1 ribbing socks, with German heel, and star toes

yarn: Fortissima Socka, color # 1026, 2x 50g, I had this yarn in my stash for a very long time

needles: 2.25mm DP

size: men's 11

for: DH Karl for Christmas

start-finish: Nov. 30-Dec. 02

My creation

My last knit for 2008 was this "Thermis" cowl. Hannah choose the yarn/color/buttons for it, and I enjoyed knitting it immensely. I'll knit one for myself soon.

pattern: download (not free) Thermis by Kristen Patay

yarn: Ultra Alpaca Light, color # 4281, 1.25 skeins

needles: 4mm circs

size: large (because I used DK weight yarn)

start-finish: Dec. 30-31

Well, there's only two more FO's left to show you, and one handspun yarn. After that it will slow down a bit here, since I'll actually have to knit/spin/crochet in real time before I can show you.

Yesterday afternoon, I finally got around to bake these Chocolate wafers. I don't really know the real name of this "cake". My mother in law used to make these, and my son wondered, if I could make it, when we saw the wafers at the store. I wanted to make it for Christmas, but DH Karl brought home 5lbs of Christmas cookies, over 20 different kinds, and we really didn't need any more sweets then. I don't have a recipe, just a memory of it, so they are not quite like Helene's were. I cut the pieces too big too, but they dry out quickly. DH said, it's "soul food" for him, too bad he can't have any of it.

18 comments:

Päivi, Lankakomero said...

Garter yoke cardigan looks wonderful! And I love the colour. Your colour choices are always beautiful.

Agnes said...

Very lovely cardigan! Love the purple. That knit.1 magazine is a great one ... I haunted Barnes and Nobles almost every day before it was out to make sure I didn't miss it!

Anonymous said...

die Jacke sieht klasse aus.

Grüßle, die Bea

...AnnaRose... said...

The cardigan looks great! I have to get that magazine to make one for me :)

Anonymous said...

The cardigan is really lovely and Hannah looks fabulous in it! It's fits her so well. The buttons are cute.

Yum, wafers! Soul food, lol.

hakucho said...

I love the purple sweater. It looks great on Hannah :)

Love the cowl, too...looks like it is very warm.

Your cake looks very interesting. What did you use for the filling besides chocolate? Is it a custard or a pudding? Whatever...it looks delicious :)

Rachel said...

That cardi is awesome! I've been wanting to make that ever since I saw the original as well. Just bought Knit1 and I'll be swatching soon. Well, whenever I get the chance to (my little babe doesn't give me all that much time these days, but I'll have more "me" time eventually..)

Your version of the sweater is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

You're daughter is so nice to allow you to knit for her. ;-) The purple is very pretty and the Thermis looks so cozy. You were definitely staying busy while you were away from the blog.

momsue84 said...

Lovely cardi and socks. And that cowl looks so warm. You have really been busy. But, the cake. Oh, that wafer cake. Yum! So good to have you back.

Strickfimmel said...

Die Jacke ist der Hammer! Und solche schönen Fotos hast Du solange für Dich behalten. Beides, Jacke und Schal, stehen Hannah sehr gut. Kann mir sehr gut vorstellen, dass ihr die Sachen gefallen.

Anonymous said...

Love the cardi and the socks (nice color touch, those oranges). But my absolute favorite of the Dec FOs is that gorgeous black shawl.
Margie in Maryland

Beverly said...

As usual I am late to the party. Glad that you are back to blogging again.

I love the color of the cardigan. My favorite colors are deep and rich and this purple fits the bill. It looks great and fits perfectly.

Rhonda said...

Lucky Hannah - I hope you knit a garment for yourself next. Really great cardi and I think it looks very professional. Very nice work.

Marianne said...

LOVE the purple cardi! Now I need to find that magazine!

Toby said...

Love the cardie! I have that pattern on my needles right now.

Welcome back too! You're certainly back with a posting vengeance. :)

Anonymous said...

Well - you WERE busy during your blog break! Lately I'm loving simple sweaters and your purple garter yoke cardigan is exactly it! I just bound off the bottom of Acer after only 3 garter ridges and now I'm thinking I should have added more like you mentioned - blahhh!

Lynn One, Purl Two said...

Hannah looks beautiful!

I love that sweater on her!

I miss her too...

I hope that you're both having a happy new year!

l.

Angelika said...

I love the purple jacket, but then you might have guessed that, right? I know how the curse of the sleeves works. Yuck. And those wafers looks so tasty.