Thursday, October 04, 2007

You've got mail!

I was not prepared for this month Spunky Eclectic Fiber Club installment! Isn't it gorgeous?! It's buttery soft and oh so shiny, and it is called "Aspen". It's 2oz merino/tencel blend, which spins up so fast and easy, I'm totally in love with it. That's a blend I'm sure I'll buy more of in the future. I think I already have some in my fiber stash, but none with such beautiful colores. I can't wait to get it all spun up, which will not take long since it's not much. I'll 2-ply it, and hopefully get to knit with it soon after.
Finding this in the mail was not a surprise, since I've been waiting for it, but it still "wowed" me, when I opened it. But a big smile on my face!
The other thing, which was a big surprise was this advance copy of Ethnic Knitting Discovery by Donna Druchunas. Boy did my eyes pop out, when I picked up the package at the post office. I could not, for the life of me, guess why I did get a package from the States. For once I hadn't ordered anything, and nothing was late to arrive.

Well, some time ago, I've already forgotten about it, Deborah Robson was writing about this book on her blog. She asked to leave name and address, if we were interested in an advance copy of this book, that is, if she had some left over. If you want to read her blog you've got to have some time, because her posts are long, but very intersting! ;o)

Since I already own a book by Donna Druchunas (Artic Lace), which i thought was very interesting to read, with the plus of gorgeous lace patterns included, I thought I'd give it a shot, and left my information.

You can read more about what Donna has to say about her new book here: Go Knit In Your Hat blog.

I'm not quite through reading it, but it came in my life at the best possible moment. I'm very interested in Fair Isle knitting, or any other color knitting at the moment. The next post will show you what I've knit so far, but this book answers so many questions for me. I even found headband patterns in it, which I was looking for all over the Internet, and in every single knitting book I own, with not much success. I thought I'll start with headbands, they might be easier, which I now doubt. Still the same tanglement, but they will not take that long, hence sanity will be restored more quickly.

There are different kinds of patterns in this book, 4 small skill-building projects, and 8 master sweater plans (as it says so on the back of the book). It reminds me of Cat Bordhi's new sock book, with the master numbers, where you need to plug in your measurements and off you go, knit yourself a wonderful fitting sweater.

I'm so excited about this book, but don't expect a big fat sweater in all-over color pattern just as yet. I'm still struggling to keep sane with the small stuff. Maybe one day. ;o)

And thanks again, Deborah!

4 comments:

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

I can see why you were "wowed" - that Aspen is really beautiful. I can't wait to see what it looks like "spun"! A headband is a great idea - for those with enough hair to use one. LOL

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

oh my! That roving is stunning! I just love those colors.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like quite an interesting book, thanks for the review.

Violiknit said...

Very pretty colors on that roving; lovely sheen! That book on Ethnic knitting sounds interesting. (Aside from the "Panta", I've never found an online headband pattern I liked.)