Sunday, June 17, 2007

I'm feeling a lot better now!

Lacy Zig Zag socks with mini sock.

Close up - can you see how this yarn shines? I don't know if it's the bamboo or the nylon in the yarn. (you can click on the pic to see it better)

I knit the lace pattern only on the front needles. Because it's so stretchy I decided to do ribbing in the back to hold it up better.

I'm never bitching about yardage again. You can totally knit a pair of socks with two balls 170yds each and have some leftovers as well, even in bigger sizes. These socks are women size 10 and I had 8g leftover (each ball). The legs including cuffs are 7" long. I could have used it all up, but I didn't want to. I made them toe-up to be on the safe side. I was prepared to make ankle socks, even though I don't especially like them. It was so much fun to knit socks again!

I found the stitch pattern (Lace Zig Zag) in my 365 Knitting Stitch calendar (it's November 1st). I've wanted to try it out for ages. A very easy and fast pattern, easy to remember. Since Panda Wool is 46% Bamboo, 43% Wool, and 11% Nylon, it's quite lovely to wear, I think you can even wear it now, if you have cold feet (for whatever reason). I cast on 60 sts and increased on the leg towards the cuff to 64 sts, on 2.25mm 5 DP needles. These socks are a gift for someone very dear to me.

And because I've seen them on so many blogs from Germany ( they seem to be very popular over there), I had to make one myself. I'm talking about the tiny sock of course. I think it's very cute and will be making myself one or two. I've tried on the socks before I washed them. They are VERY stretchy and squooshy. I should have used 2mm needles, don't know why I didn't. Maybe because I've only got metal DP in 2mm size.

This is a Canadian Quarter, by the way. I've used the Jojo-heel here as well. I quite enjoyed knitting this tiny one.

Just finished the heel here. Cute little pump.


Ready to go to it's new owner.

Biko is watching out the front window, and nothings going on, otherwise she would tell me all about it.
After finishing the socks, I even had time to spin for an hour. After two days of NOT having time to spin, my fingers were itching to hold some roving.

I did glance at the left front of the cardigan, and decided - not today. Tomorrow..... No further distractions. No more fun projects until it's done. That should get me motivated!

Oh, by the way, I've been tagged by Michele. So sorry, but I'm really stubborn about certain things, so I will not play. You can go and read her meme. She's got a lovely blog with a lot of wonderful knits to look at, and she's got free sock patterns as well!

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wunderschöne Socken! Farbe und Muster passen perfekt zusammen.

Ich glaube, Biko möchte spazierengehen ;-)

Viele liebe Grüße
Tanja

Dave said...

Very nice! I like the subtle variegation in the colour too -- gives it great depth without interfering with the lace patterning.

DAWN said...

That little sock is so cute! I'm not a fan of pink, but I really like that hue. I think the "shiney" comes from the bamboo. Anytime I've used bamboo yarn it has a nice sheen to it.

Heike said...

Hallo Monika,
WUNDERBAR sind die Socken geworden. Obwohl rosa nun garnicht meine Farbe ist würde ich die sofort nehmen *zwinker*. Die sind so gleichmässig und ordentlich gestrickt. Das gefällt mir gut und die Idee, den hinteren Teil des Schaftes gerippt zu stricken muss ich mir unbedingt merken.

Liebe Grüsse von Heike

Anonymous said...

The socks are great! Very nice pattern.

Teresa said...

Oooo...I LOVE the color! It's one of my favorite colors. Jojo heel turn looks great! I would love to know how you did that. Traditional heel gussets drive me nuts sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had enough - I was going to feel guilty for recommending the yarn if you didn't!! Isn't it a pretty little shiny strand in there? You picked a beautiful lace stitch pattern - they are elegant and beautiful!

Tracy Purtscher said...

LOVE the socks!!! I bet you're feeling fabulous having deprived yourself for so long! :-)

Romi said...

Oooh! I love them! And the little one is completely adorable. :)

Anonymous said...

The LZZ Socks look scrumptious and beautiful!!! The look so warm. I love the picture of Biko using the window ledge as a head rest!!!

Devonshire said...

Those socks are gorgeous! The color is lovely, the style perfect and the mini sock is way too cute!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty, Monika. I love the soft colors and the sweet lace together, makes a very ladylike sock :-) and the baby sock is so cute.

Lucy said...

Those socks are so pretty! ...maybe I am in the mood to knit in pink again sooner than I thought!

Anonymous said...

Soo cute!!!

Kris B said...

Very nice socks. I really like the color and the pattern you used for them. Looks like Biko is a good watch dog, nothing gets unnoticed by her :).

I also want to thank you for the information on the dog toy.

Micky said...

Lovely socks. Personally I'd rather do the teeny ones. I guess I have a thing for teeny knits. Since I did so many mini-weasleys.
Thanks for your comment.
:)

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

that color is just beautiful. I really love the pattern on the socks. Great job.

TracyKM said...

How feminine without being too girly! Did you stagger the start of the ribs at the back or is it an optical illusion? I like doing ribbing on the backs of my socks too, so I'm always looking for someway to spice them up!

Anonymous said...

I love the socks! The little sock is a nice touch.

eyeleen said...

lovely socks! I love the wee one.

Violiknit said...

Oh, those socks look delicious! I love that mini sock too

Anonymous said...

Awww, what a totally cute and beautiful pair of socks! You know what a sucker for lacey socks I am, and this pattern just rocks big time! And I lovelovelove the colorway! Perfect job once more!
Hmh - could it be that Biko would like to go for a walk? ;)

Anonymous said...

Those turned out so well! And I love the color.

Tabitha said...

Beautiful socks. Someone is a lucky person. Thank you for sharing your results with Panda wool. I have some Panda cotton that has similar yardage and I have been worrying about whether it is enough yardage to knit a pair of regular length socks. I feel brave now. Think I will go cast on.

sue said...

Love the socks and enjoyed the spinning posts . You'll get it. Loosen up think "Don't kill the baby bird " when holding and drafting that roving. Lite as air touch and your fingers will feel better.

Anonymous said...

I agree with tracykm: feminine without being girly. Great pattern.

Lizardknits said...

I'm so glad to hear good things about Panda Wool sock yarn. I just cast on Seduction Socks from Spring 07 Interweave Knits. But I need to get size 12 socks from the yardage. I think I'll make my cuffs about an inch shorter than yours.

Carrie K said...

Biko looks like a child in front of a window, whining "There's nooooothing to doooooo." Cute.

Those socks are beautiful! The pattern is lovely and it really shows off that yarn. And the little matching pet for it....

Hooney said...

Great job with the socks. Love them. What yarn did you use? I love the color.

Anonymous said...

i love those socks!
i also have that calendar and i may just copy your great idea.
ciao...

Cloudberry said...

Beautiful socks. Love the colour!

Frieda said...

Another great pair of socks ! I love the lace pattern , its a nice match with the yarn .

La Cabeza Grande said...

Monika, I should have known by the quality of your Walker Treasury swatches: you are an incredibly talented knitter!

T-Mom said...

What beautiful socks! And I love the pic of Biko--reminds me of Taenzer. :)