Monday, January 29, 2007

Smoking Hot Sock!


edited to show finished pictures:
the yarn is very busy and it started to pool shortly before the heel. It's also a heavy, thick sock. I'm going to try another pair with normal sock yarn. I'm going to leave the nubs out as well, since they don't show very well; it was just playing around with an idea anyway. I've used the jojo heel again and the magic cast on, both my favorites. The slip stitch pattern on top of the foot got blocked out very well. No more pulling in.

click to see some sparkles


I'm so excited! Last night, I started this sock. It's my own pattern. I've seen quite a lot patchwork socks throughout blogger land and even have a pattern for one of them, but quite frankly they are to fiddly, with lots of ends to weave in (there are more than two ends to weave in here as well), and complicated to start. I just didn't like it. I'm always looking for the easy way out and since I'm knitting my Noro blanket (not lately though), I was wondering, if I could apply this to a sock. One mitered square built upon another, and yes, it's possible. Of course it had to be a toe up version as well.

I'm going to try to write up a pattern, but first I've got to knit the other one. Oh, yeah, I forgot, the first one is finished and being blocked as we speak.

My son, David saw it, and said, it's big (the leg part), and yes, it looks big, but it's garter stitch (squishy). After I've bound off, I tried it on and, he so gentlemanly said, that I've got horse feet (because they fit my foot and leg perfectly). Well, I made it for me, so it better fit!

Anyway, I've used Cherry Tree Hill Super Glitz (there's a strand glitter plied in), but it's DK weight, knit with 3mm needles.
On top of the foot I've made a slip stitch pattern, which I wanted to try out for ages. It was not the best choice, because this stitch pattern pulls in (but stretches easily, when worn). Since my daughter was following the designing and knitting process with interest, she suggested to make some nubs as well, and since I've had so much fun with the nubs on the Swallowtail shawl, I was game. One round of nubs, coming up! After that, some ribbing and bind off.
The finished pictures will follow soon.
What do you think? Is it worth the trouble of writing this experiment down?

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! It's totally worth it, that's an interesting sock you've got going on there! I'd like to try it.

Dave said...

Very cool looking sock. Yes, you must record it for history. :-)

Knittypants said...

Love your sock! So colorful and cheery and the construction is super neat.

Your Swallowtail is gorgeous, you should get lots of wear out of it.

Debi said...

I think it's a very pretty sock!
BTW, it's NUPP not nub :)

Anonymous said...

Hallo ohh wunderschöne Socken strickst du da, auch die farbe finde ich toll. Grüessli Marlies

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, it's totally worth to write it down - what a very interesting pattern, I'd try it in an instant!

Linda said...

I love it!...and yes, it would definately be worth writing the pattern up :-)

sgeddes said...

Love the sock - can't wait to see the pattern all written up for them.

Anonymous said...

You started it last night?? and it's done this morning? You are Smokin'!! I think you should definitely write it up - looks like you already have some nice notes and pictures there....I can't wait to see the top with the nupps!
(that Cherry Tree Hill is bright and beautiful!!)

Anonymous said...

Hallo Monika,

Glitzersockenwolle in orange und dann noch so ein Muster. das ist nicht mehr zu toppen!!! WUNDERBAR! *GIER*....

Viele Grüsse von Heike

Sue J. said...

Wow! Great socks! I sure think you should record the pattern for posterity, and for those of us who would love to try it. Very nice job and very nice colorway.

hakucho said...

Very pretty socks! I like the design...just the colors alone would keep my feet warm. Have fum wearing them :)

Anonymous said...

die socken haben ein wunderschönes muster. falls du das muster wirklich
aufschreibst, wäre eine zweisprachige anleitung wunderbar. BITTE.
LG
mercedes

monica said...

Love the sock. And your shawl in the previous post is gorgeous.

Mariella said...

That sock is HOT! Love your color choice and design.

Debi said...

Love the finished product!

Kris B said...

Yes, definitely write it down.

Tracy Purtscher said...

Fabulous my dear!! LOVE them! I've been meaning to ask you about that jojo heel you use. Could you enlighten me??