Monday, January 22, 2007

Shetland Triangle Shawl

One last mention of my contest: All prizes have been claimed and the packages are on their way to the winners! Enjoy, ladies! ;o)

Last night this little shawl jumped off my needles, right into a relaxing bubble bath and on to the blocking mattress and now here it is:

The Shetland Triangle Shawl!


I'm totally in LOVE with Evelyn A. Clark's designs. Her patterns are so well written and the stitch patterns fit together so smoothly, it's pure pleasure to knit her shawls (well, except the nubbs and 5 or 7 knit togethers, but that's another shawl).


The pattern for this shawl was waiting for me for month now. I really, really wanted to knit it, but never got to it, until now. I can't think of a reason why, maybe because I've knit on my rough Noro blanket and wanted to feel something airy between my fingers. Who knows and it doesn't matter anyway.
Once again, there's a shawl with no destination other than a drawer (and how do you store your precious hand knits anyway?). This is definitely NOT my color. Rose, there's nothing delicate about me, like this flimsy shawl. Nobody would ever think that this is mine, would it be lost.


But nevertheless, it was pure pleasure to knit. How can I make you understand? It's like the first sip of tea when it's the right temperature, or if you take a deep breath on a summer day, after it rained, or your first smoke of the day? (maybe, I'm not a smoker, but I've been told that it's wonderful). You might think I'm ponkers, but you might also understand.

Well, this was so satisfying, that I've cast on another one of Evelyn Clark's shawls, the Swallowtail Shawl. You'd think, enough already with the shawls, but it's an addiction, I tell you! Do I really need another shawl? 100% definitely not.

pattern: Shetland Triangle shawl by Evelyn A. Clark from the book "Wrap Style"

yarn: Kauni uni, color rose, ( this yarn comes from Denmark) I've used 48g of a 50g ball which has 300m on it, 90% wool 10% acrylic (I've got this yarn as a gift from Uta )

needles: 4mm addi turbo (blunt tip, not good)

size after blocking: 48" x 27"

Sam loves snow. Unfortunately for him, there is not much of it this year, so he's studying it very closely, to not forget how it looks until next year. He told me, he could even make out different snow flake designs. Do I believe him??? ;o)

And now to sooth my aching eyes from all that rose and snow white, some orange and green. Aaahhh!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

absolutely gourgeous

Anonymous said...

Stick it in a drawer??! That seems like a crime to make such an object of beauty and then consign its fate to a drawer! ugh! Poor little thing, your being quite cruel to 'Rosey". :0)

JanetK said...

That is a beautiful shawl. Are you sure you cannot wer pink? Even just a touch of it peeking out from around the neck of your coat could look really nice. OTOH, I am sure there is someone in your life who would love a beautiful gift like that. Great work!
I love watching dogs in snow. They truly are funny with it. This year we have had more snow than usual. Perhaps you need to bring your dogs to my area of Alberta, and they can get their fill of snow, (plus, I look great in pink!) ;-)

Jessica said...

Very pretty. :)

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful! So delicate, especially in that color. Great job! It must be a white German Shepard thing because Timber loves snow, too. Of course here in Tennessee it is a rarity but when we lived in N. Dakota he was in heaven from November till March.

Kris B said...

Oh my, that is so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

beautiful, beautiful.

Anonymous said...

beautiful.

Sue J. said...

Just lovely! You did such a nice job, and I agree that lace knitting is so addictive. But I, too, hate to see you put it in a drawer. That kind of skill and expertise deserves to be admired. On to the next one.

Pat said...

Delicate and beautiful!!
OK -I'm going to do Swallowtail too! (like I need another shawl to go in the pile)I probably won't start for a few days, but I'm going to do it. I'm glad you are starting 1st - you can warn me of any upcoming problems....

Anonymous said...

you just never stop, lady!

that's gorgeous. the snow looks so pretty, too.

hakucho said...

I am in awe of you....you are an amazing knitter...just beautiful!

happy knitting :)

Anonymous said...

Hallo Monika,
was für ein wunderschöner Shawl!!! Er sieht so richtig luftig leicht aus. Tolle Arbeit und sehr schöne Farbe.
Ich hoffe, der Kommentar ist angekommen.

Debi said...

Such a stunning shawl, don't relegate it to a dark drawer! If you really hate the pink you could overdye it, you know.

Dipsy Doodle said...

This shawl is absolutely adorable - beautiful work!

Martina said...

Absolutely stunning shawl!

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful shawl. I wear all of my shawls everywhere, even the lacy ones and even if it's just to the grocery store. My shawls don't get a drawer, they're in a plastic storage container in the closet. I looked at a few past entries and I love the wool peddler's shawl. Thanks for stopping by my blog. :-)

Anonymous said...

Absolutelt marvelous!!!! You're NOT "ponkers" I know EXACTLY what you mean....unless of course that makes me ponkers too! :-)

Anonymous said...

just stunning, monika!

and thanks for the photos of the dogs. they are stunning, too!

Kirsten said...

I know the feeling. The Shetland shawl is pure pleasure to knit and the results are always gorgeous. I hope you don't keep that hidden away in a drawer. It is much too beautiful for that. Lovely photos.

Anonymous said...

It's BEAUTIFUL!!!! Do you ever sell your knits? My brother's wedding is coming up, and I would love a shawl like this one that is a creamy white to go with my dress. please let me know.

shainalorraine@gmail.com