Wednesday, January 31, 2007

...meanwhile ...

I'm knitting away on my mitered squares socks. I'm working on the third sock (no pairs yet), with different yarn and different needle size. They fit me all, but I'm not satisfied enough, to write it down, as it is. I'm going to have three! pairs of socks very soon. ;o)
So, until I have something to show you, I'd like you to have a look what my daughter Hannah was doing (knit wise).
She's doing yoga, so she needed a bag for her yoga mat. She can't stand to waste anything, that's why she went through my stash to get all the yarn, which was great for felting. At times she hates that monstrous thing, but stuck to it.



We threw it into the washing machine and had to turn it on five times, until she was satisfied with the size. Funny thing though, she used different colors of Lopi and other 100% wool, only the red Lopi didn't felt as all the others did. I thought the little bulge on top, was an interesting touch. Hannah was just glad it was DONE!


edited: I don't want to embarrass Hannah here, but I'd like to say, that I'm proud of her, that she stuck to it, because a lot went wrong with this project. She's knit two stitch marker into the fabric and just noticed it after about an inch of knitting, At the first try, she's twisted the cast on stitches and knit about 5 inches until she's noticed the twist. She had to rip it all out again. And after all that, she did something, I'm still laughing about, when I think of it. I've taught her how to connect wool (the yucky spit and rub method) and she spit and rubbed two ends together, just to find out, that she had just connected two balls of wool! ;o)


After that she needed a quick project and since my digi camera fell into the snow the other day (and is still working, thank god), she made me a case for it, with left over yarns. On the back there's even Regal Silk in the knitted fabric. I love it, and I think it looks a little bit like woven fabric. It's thick and will cushion all future falls of my digicam, from my pocket.
There's also the Calorimetry she made for "me". Well, it's her second try. The first one was big enough for an elephants head. The second try fit's my head (just a little bit smaller). I don't know if there will be a third try. She's gone down from 5mm needles to 4.5mm and thinner yarn. Right now she doesn't even want to touch knitting stuff. She's so disappointed, because the pattern is great and looks nice and is comfortable, I can tell, since I'm wearing it right now. Maybe I'll knit HER one! ;o)


Sam thinks snow tastes yummy! (and wants more of it).

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Na, hat ja doch noch geklappt. Sieht prima aus, schöne Farben!

Grüße aus Colonia
Aud

hakucho said...

Hannah's yoga mat bag is wonderful...very cheerful and bright. She must be very pleased with it!

The calorimetry she made for you is very pretty! The one I made is comfortable...but it still messes my hair up. Oh well...I'm just not a hat person. When push comes to shove...I like jackets with hoods!

Happy knitting Hannah and Monika :)

Anonymous said...

Monica, I love what you are going with the mitred sock! I have a hank of Cherry Tree Hill Glitz sock and I'll save it for when your pattern is ready! Knit on!

Lynn One, Purl Two said...

i looooooooove that bag hannah! lovely! i think that red bulge is fantastic, plus you used up some scraps. let's knit together. when... we're in the same place at the same time. ok? ok.

ZiZi said...

Der JogaMattenBehälter ist echt witzig geworden! Es ist schon erstaunlich, dass beim strickfilzen immer etwas brauchbares rauskommt ;-)

Liebe Grüsse - ZiZi

Anonymous said...

WOW - Hannah has stuck with it and is becoming a real knitter....Kate (my 22 y.o) knit a hat and scarf and then just quit - I don't think she'll be knitting me anything soon!

Anonymous said...

The yoga bag looks great! I thought the ball of red at the top was meant to be that way, it's cute.

Did Hannah knit a gauge swatch for the Calometry? It's pretty much gauge swatch sized, actually.

Those mitired socks are great! I love them and you should definitely write up the pattern.

Carol said...

I measured my head where I would wear the Calorimetry and my head was 19 inches , The Calorimetry pattern said it would be 24 inches. So I cast on 100 stitches, only did the decrease rows 16 times (instead of 17) and it fit fine. So if you are wondering how to make it smaller, there you go!

Anonymous said...

Now, this is the absolutely perfect yoga mat - what a fantastic idea!

Anonymous said...

The bag looks like a tulip or some kind of flower budding!Now she ought to put it on Knitty and be famous!

Violiknit said...

Ooh, I adore that festive yoga bag! The camera case it cute too!

Devonshire said...

I really want to knit Calorimetry. I think it looks best in a verigated yarn. Your daughter did a lovely job.

Thanks for your comments on my blog!