Thursday, November 30, 2006

Super Glitz-Flying V-scarf

With this yarn and this pattern I think a perfect marriage was achieved! Unfortunately there's no sun outside, as you can see in the next picture, it's one o'clock in the afternoon and it's not even quite light outside. There's snow and rain in the forecast, so I went ahead and took some pictures. It's quite cozy in here. David is studying for his exam, Sam is just dozing, Biko was snoring while watching the street with one eye. But she was happy to model the scarf for me. ;o)
I've used up all but a couple of yards of yarn.. Not enough for fringes, which would have been nice, since the scarf is on the short side.


There you go:

yarn: Cherry Tree Hill Super Glitz: superwash merino wool plied with a strand of glitter, DK- weight, 1 hank of 4 oz./ 325 yds
needle: 4mm
pattern: from "Exquisite Little Knits" by Iris Schreier (Flying V-scarf). This is one of my favorite patterns. I've made it before and will make it again.
size: 5" X 56"

The only modification I made was to cast on 19 sts instead of the 17 in the book, since I've used thinner yarn.

This is for Judy from Alaska: The pattern I've used for the green scarf (which was frogged) is from the "A Fourth Treasury of Knitting Patterns" by Barbara G. Walker called "hearts of oak". It's quite nice on both sides, ideal for a scarf. I'll be making it for sure, but have to see about having enough yarn for a scarf. It's not on top of my list though. ;o)

13 comments:

Strickfimmel said...

Ist der schön geworden. Und die Farben! Biko ist das perfekte Model. Die Farbe des Schal bildet einen schönen Kontrast zum weißen Fell (grins).

Anonymous said...

Another reason to pick up the rest of the Barbara Walker series....

Pretty scarf! Biko looks adorable in it.

hakucho said...

The scarf turned out great, but the best part of your post is your cute models ;)
happy knitting :)

Anonyknits said...

Oh, that is beautiful.

Knitted Zebra said...

Whew! Smoking Hot Needles is definitely a great name for your blog! You are the speediest knitter I know!!! The scarf is so beautiful! I have to go to my LYS and buy some more yarn now so that I can make one of these scarves. {Unfortunately we are snowed/iced in right now, but soon....} Sasha, Samson and Gabi send hugs to Sam and Biko.

Anonymous said...

What a nice scarf. I love the model. I bet Teddy loved the photo session.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Scarf! The colors - oooowee! I just requested "Exquisite Little Knits" from the library after seeing your scarf. I think I'm getting ready for a scarf phase!

Anonymous said...

der ist super schön geworden - findet man die Strickschrift nur im Buch von Iris - würde den auch gerne stricken :-)

Liebe Grüsse aus der Schweiz - Manuela

dominiqueknitting said...

Very nice scarf ! I have the Iris Schreier book, I'll have to go trough it again. That's what makes blogging great - all the new ideas. You have been very busy - quite impressive ! I hope to see the new blanket soon. I rather liked the blue squares - pity they had to go !

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous scarf! Looks like something I could try. I also love the comments in German which I carefully read to see if I can make sense of it. Sometimes can.
Gillian

Debi said...

Beautiful scarf and Biko makes a perfect supermodel :)

Liz said...

Wow! I'm in love with the yarn and the pattern.. I wholeheartedly agree... a perfect combo!

Anonymous said...

die farben und das muster passen wunderbar zu biko..... aber jeder andere träger wird auch happy sein über so ein tolles teil.
kann biko nicht sein futter als model selber verdienen - er ist so fotogen...?