Friday, November 10, 2006

11-11-2006 was my birthday!

.... 42 and boo hoo, I had my crisis when I turned 30 and may have one again when I'll turn 50, who knows? :o)
I'd like to thank everyone for their well wishes for Sam and for myself. This year my birthday brought me great joy, because I could pick up Sam from the vet. He's doing fine. It will be a lengthy recovery, but we did it so many times already, I'm hoping it will go well this time too. It was his 6th surgery in the 4 years he's been with us. Sam's a trooper and so full of live and he just wants to enjoy every day.
I'm also greatful for the many wishes and presents I've received. Just to let you share some of my bounty, at least in pictures:
click on pic to see the sparkly beauty of this yarn
This is Cherry Tree Hill Super Glitz in the colors "Fall Foliage" and "African Grey". I'm not sure yet what to make with it, but I'll be having it on my desk just to feast my eyes. What a beautiful yarn!

Then there's at the bottom of the stash Seacoast Handpainted Yarn color"Ashes and Roses", 100% superwash merino wool. Next is Sweetgeorgia yarn " English Bay", Supersock yarn, "Black Orchid" handpainted sock and "Honey Fig" speed demon sock, all 100% merino wool. What beautiful colors! I love sweetgeorgia's yarns.


" Victorian Lace Today" by Jane Sowerby, wow, what a wonderful book. It reminds me a little bit of "A Gathering of Lace", but I think it has more projects in it and the most gorgeous countryside pictures. This is like a coffee table book, which I'm sure, not only knitters will enjoy looking at. On page 150, there's even a rectangular shawl in there, which uses the same (?) similar stitch pattern as my bedbugs scarf, but with a beautiful knitted on border. I haven't even had the time to really enjoy this book, too much exciting things at one time. But winter is long and there will be lots of time for me to browse.

By the way, did you all notice that 2007 will be the year of "Lace"? There will be several books with lace projects released throughout the year. Lace seems to be very popular right now.

David gave me "Mosaic Knitting". This is something I wanted to try for a long time now. I hope I'll get to it soon. There are so many patterns in it, it's hard to choose from, still I was hoping to find a heart pattern as well, but no luck. I love heart patterns. Maybe I'll make on of my own. My fingers are itching to start something new, but I'll try to have some will power. I have only a pair of socks and the Log Cabin on the needles right now and I'd like to finish both before I'll start something. Will power? What's that?

There was also Interweave Knits Winter 2006 in the mail, with many gorgeous projects. I especially like Norah Goghan's "Nantucket Jacket" or "Rambling Rose Cardigan" by Laura Zukaite, which is very unusual. There's also the "Arctic Diamonds Stole" by Donna Druchunas, which I like. I've got her book "Arctic Lace: Knitting Projects and Stories Inspiered by Alaska's Native Knitters", a very interesting book to read. Oh, and of course Eunny Jang's "Venezia Pullover", we saw bits and pieces of this beauty on her blog. Even though I might not make any of these pieces, because you know, I'm not into knitting garments, but I wish I were, when I see these beauties, this issue is great.

4 comments:

Lynn One, Purl Two said...

happy birthday monika!!! may you have a very happy year, full of all the knitting and gorgeous yarns you could possibly imagine. i love sweet georgia yarns too... and i just got that new interweave knits yesterday. i agree... it's a good issue.
happy birthday! all the best.

Anonymous said...

Monika - I just want to wish you a belated happy birthday (We've been in Maine for 4 days)....42 is good - no "boohoo"! I've got almost 10 years on you and they were great years!
Looks like you made out very well with fibery gifts - lots of pretty socks and lacework in your future. Glad Sam is home safe and sound.

Abigale said...

Oh, Happy - happy Birthday Monika!

That is such great news about all the new lace books coming out. Every time I go to Borders I lament that there really should be some new lace books, but haven't seen anything at all. I'm just about to order the Victorian Lace book from Amazon.

Glad Sam is doing better, and that you got some great swag for your special day. Those Sweet Georgia yarns are just amazingly gorgeous!

Abi

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated B-day Monika!!! The 40's aren't so bad.

Glad to hear Sam is doing well.

I've ripped out socks made with Pansy a bazillion times!! Don't know what it is about that yarn and me...your socks look GREAT!! Love that chevron in the front ribbing in back thing they have going on...something you thought up??