Thursday, July 13, 2006

Curve of Pursuit is over ...


This is how it all began...
... and a good month later here it is: "Curve of Pursuit".



I've finished it yesterday, after a 3 hour weaving in ends session and of course sewing the corners. But it was raining all day so I coulnd't take a picture.

Here are the stats:

pattern: Pat Ashforth and Steven Plummer from Assign Publications

yarn:Endless summer - Connemara - mercerized cotton (elann.com)

green: 18 balls (1638 yds)

lilac: 6 1/4 balls (569 yds)

blue: 6 1/4 balls (569 yds)

I had a few yards left over from the green and wanted to use it for the corners but I couldn't find it anymore. I had, thankfully left long ends and could use them to sew the corners together.

needles: 4.5 mm

size: 52" X 52"

start: June 2, 2006 finish: July 12, 2006 (but with many side projects in between)

Until the 9th square it seemed like I'll have some yarn left over. After that it was slow going, the blanket was (and still is) very heafy on the lap. I would not make this blanket with mercerized cotton anymore. This is a very clever and fun pattern. Mariella at Knitting Nonni (please see side bar, since blogger doesn't let me make a link right now) is making another one. She's using lovely colors (Cranberry, misty blue and rainbow) and I'm looking forward to see her "Curve of Pursuit" come along.

For those who would like to purchase the pattern here is the Assign Storefront at e-bay (thanks to Mariella). It's called Assign Designs and they are on vacation right now. They will be open in mid August again:

http://stores.ebay.com/Assign-Designs-and-Publications_W0QQsspagenameZL2QQtZkm

21 comments:

Abigale said...

Oh it's beautiful! I just love your colours Monika - you do such a good job - and your blog title is very apt. Your needles are indeed Smoking Hot!

You'll be happy to hear that I've done a tiny bit more on my log cabin - and I'm still working on my blasted pattern for Angst! But I'm very happy to say that it's almost done!

Can't wait to see what you come up with next. :-)

Abi

Erica said...

Hi Monika, I've just discovered your blog after your letter to modknits, your work is AMAZING! (grin)I agree with abigale, your needles are certainly Smoking Hot, looking forward to following your blog and seeing more - and more of your lovely dogs
cheers

Jacqueline said...

I found this blog by accident, butjust wanted to say that i think this is really cool - love it!

Carrie K said...

It came out just gorgeous. Gorgeous.

Beverly said...

Great blanket and wonderful colors. I've always been fascinated by the curve.

Mariella said...

Wow! It's so beautiful! I love seeing the starting out pics and then the final result. Great choice of colors.
So when's your next one.... :)

babette said...

A true work of art...love it!!! Your needles are smoking hot.
Great job, great colors.
babette

Darcy said...

Saw you on the Mason-Dixon Knitting KAL - your blanket is just amazing. When I get done log-cabining, I'll have to make one, too. Thanks for sharing!

xamonster said...

That's a great blanket. I love the colors you used!

Stephanie said...

Gasp! SOOOOO beautiful! I'm jelous! I've been wanting to make one of those blankets since I saw it in MDK! Beautiful job! Did I mention that I love it? Amazing! Oh, and thank you so much for commenting on my blog. It made me happy! ^_^

Micky said...

Very beautiful!
Thanks for the link. I have been fascinated with this blanket since I saw pictures of it.
:)

Knittypants said...

Gorgeous!

Carol said...

Beautiful! I am hereby adding teh "curve of pursuit" to my list of things to do. However, it is a very loooong list, so it might be awhile!

Anonymous said...

Turned out beautiful. Also want to say thanks for the info on where to buy the pattern--I've been searching their site with no luck.

Elysbeth said...

I will have to join in on the Curve of Pursuit, any KALs going on for it?

Annie said...

Now that is a cool blanket! What a great job you've done. I'll have to order this one.

Anonymous said...

Hallo Monika,
leider kann ich nur etwas Englisch und ich hoffe Du verzeihst mir wenn ich auf Deutsch schreibe...

diese Projekt sieht ja echt klasse aus... wo kann ich denn so eine Anleitung bekommen....

Liebe Grüße von Heide aus Bremen

Grace said...

Wow, that is impressive!

Anonymous said...

I'm speechless!!!! Your Curve of Pursuit is absolutely stunning!!! I just discovered this one today and I'm so sad that I have to wait until August to order it ;) Love your blog, and will check back soon!!! -Bente from Norway-

Abigail said...

That is the most amazing mat I've ever seen. I must put that on the manditory knit list. Great work:D

Monika said...

Hi Becky, I could not find another way to respond to your question. If I would make another Curve of Pursuit blanket, I would use superwash wool undless you'd like to dry clean it, then I would use some merino wool, which is soft and not scratchy like wool. Have fun knitting the blanket, it's great. It will eat up the yarn at about the 10th square. ;o)